What is a Stroke?
A stroke occurs when the supply of blood to the brain is either interrupted or reduced. When this happens, the brain does not get enough oxygen or nutrients, and brain cells start to die.
Burden of Stroke in India
- Approximately 1.7 million cases of stroke are registered in India every year.
- Incidence of stroke in India based on population based stroke registries and community based surveys range from 135-152/100,000 population.
- In a remote tribal area in Maharashtra (Gadchiroli) the stroke mortality was 191.9/100,000 population based on a verbal autopsy of all deaths. In the same study, approximately 46.3% of stroke patients died within the first month. They also found a very high prevalence rate (535.58/100,000 population) of stroke in these villages.
- Researchers from Kolkata have observed that 42% of stroke deaths occurred in the first 30 days.
- A very recent population based stroke registry reported from Ludhiana, showed an incidence rate of 140/100,000 population.
- One third of stroke patients are left with permanent disability.
- Stroke affects the entire family.